Re: [Healeys] Early BN7 MkII heat shield

To: <Warthodson@aol.com>, <peter.svilans@rogers.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Early BN7 MkII heat shield
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:54:18 -0500
The early balance pipe is slightly smaller diameter, and has two S shaped
brackets welded to it to hold and locate the long petroflex fuel line from
number 1 to number 2 carb. I believe also the early setup used brass floats
in the float chambers where as the conical nylon ones came later at the same
time as the larger balance pipe.
Also as John described in his original posting, apparently the heat shield
originally did not have a layer of insulation on the carb side of the steel
shield, it only was applied on the engine side. After engine 29E H929, the
extra insulation plate was added to the carb side, necessitating an extra
1/4" spacer between shield and carb to bring the carb clearance further out
and clear the new insulation.
I had a late tricarb many years ago (engine 29E RU H 5211) with the later
arrangement, and the only problems I ever had were from being fully up to
temperature, shutting off for a few minutes (such as at a gas station) then
resuming driving. The rear carb would percolate and stumble for a minute or
so until fresh cooler fuel arrived.
Therefore I'd surmise that they were attempting to keep the carbs as
insulated as possible from almost the beginning. It was otherwise a
fantastic setup, easy to maintain and got consistantly about 3 MPG better
than any other Healey six.

Rich Chrysler