Re: [Healeys] Cost of 3.54 diff

To: "'Quinn, Patrick'" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>, "'healeys'"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Cost of 3.54 diff
From: "Skip Saunders" <tfsbj7@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 23:23:48 -0500
I paid $150 for one from a junk dealer in Galeto California about 4 yrs
ago...

I gather that the new ones from Lempert were a bit more for just the gears
(I think around $250).... (I bought two of those anyway too...)

I've heard of fully assembled, ready to install pumpkins, going for
$750...but I've not bought any at that price myself...

I've refitted one of the Lempert sets of gears into my old pumpkin and
Gladys loves it.  She runs nicely at highway speed, gets better gas mileage,
and still has plenty of oomph when departing a stop light on a hill....If
you do a lot of low speed heavy acceleration from first gear, you might
notice a difference, but from my viewpoint, the 3.54 should have been the
standard from the get go on these cars....the low end torque is still
amazing, even after the retrofit.

Thanks
-skip-