[Healeys] Alternator figured out! A Big Thanks and yet,

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Alternator figured out! A Big Thanks and yet,
From: "Randy Dickson" <rdickson@midwestarchaeology.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 19:34:09 -0600
Fellow Healeyoids,

A BIG THANK YOU to all that helped me out in a time of need regarding my
conversion from a generator to an alternator on my 63 BJ7.

I think  that I have the wiring correct for my alternator conversion now.  I
fired up the Healey this morning on some ether and lots of choke in my
garage.  It was 5 below outside in NE Wisconsin.  The oil was thick and the
Healey hadn't been started in a few months.  It sputtered and coughed but
started and eventually and idled. The fan belt  was too big and the alt. and
the alt. kit did not allow for the slack to be taken up.   Maybe my fan belt
is not correct, I don't know.  Anyway, I will get a fan belt that is smaller
in circumference next so that I can double check the charging by the alt.

NOW! I want to install a negative ground radio/CD player with I-Pod
compatibility.  OR alternatively, I was thinking about gutting an old
Motorola or BMC radio and putting an I-Pod amp in it with jacks on the side
or back (USB and speaker).  Similar to what Lin Rose did with his "Bloody
Beast." Then mounting two,   4" speakers under the dash.  I bought a couple
of four inch speakers today and will soon make a couple of small speaker
boxes out of plywood or plastic.  I'm not an audiophile.  I don't care how
well the music "sounds".  Hell, I've seen bands like the Ramones, Black
Flag, Misfits, UK Subs, Sex Pistols and such and I'm not picky about sound
quality.  Other than some blues, all of the above will be the extent of the
musical repertoire played in the Healey.  OK, maybe some Doors and Byrds
thrown in just like riding in my brothers BJ7 back in the 60s.

Another wiring question that I have is, I have two wiring harnesses that
came with my wiring harness order to AH Spares 6 years ago.  They each
possess two wires  one with brown/green and brown/black wires.  They are
identical.  They have female spade connectors at one end and female bullet
connector receptacles at the other.  They are about 20 inches long.  Where
do they go?????

Again, thanks so much for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy

Healey Archaeologist

63 BJ7

60 BT7