Re: [Healeys] Gland

To: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Gland
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:43:45 +0000
Alan

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. The original material was
certainly not cork. I might be lead; if not something very similar. It
appears that something like string is encased in lead and then would
around to make a ring. It is then compressed to shape so that when
further compressed between the two internally tapered flanges it bites
hard onto the smooth balance pipe.

About 50 years ago it was possible to purchase similar material for
winding into water pump glands. An example being a Fordson Tractor of
that vintage.

If it was lead then regulation might make this part illegal to sell so
an alternative needs to be found but I would not have thought that cork
would have been up to it.

Regards

--
John Harper