Re: [Healeys] A70 Motor rebore to 100

To: keith taylor <ktee20@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] A70 Motor rebore to 100
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:32:13 +0000
Keith

You might be lucky but my personal view is that the risk of failure
having committed a lot of time and effort is that it is just not worth
it.

There appears to be a variation in the quality of the castings. I had
problems with taking an original 100 block out to only +040". After
testing a pin prick was found in one bore and the only way to recover
the block was to bore out further and fit a sleeve. As the extra metal
was removed a significant hole emerged. The engine appears to be OK
after 10,000 miles but I have always since been anxious that the engine
might fail.

The other issue is corrosion inside the water jacket. The rough internal
casting surface appears in some cases to attract corrosion. After 50+
years and inhibitors not being the 'in thing' it is surprising how much
extra pitting there might be. It rather depends on how the engine has
been looked after during its life. Something you most likely will not
know anything about.

So it is not just how much metal is available. Something that it
somewhat marginal but also the state of the metal that will be left
after boring.

Regards

--
John Harper