Re: [Healeys] Optimas

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Optimas
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 00:39:08 EST
In a message dated 1/30/09 11:06:18 AM, healeys-request@autox.team.net
writes:

> >I need a new battery for my Healey.   Anyone have any suggestions?  I was
> > interested in the sealed Optima but don't know much about it.

Keep one thing in mind: the Optima red is NOT a deep-cycle battery, and I'm
not sure the Optima Yellow, which is a deep-cycle but more expensive, will fit
(I could be wrong about that, but I know it won't fit in my MGA, though an
Optima did.

Did... as in past tense. Why? Simply because once you have completely
discharged an Optima battery, it won't take a charge again. So if you've got a
short
somewhere in the system (or in my case a transponder that wasn't wired
correctly) and the battery drains, poof, you're out the $150 these things
cost.

My suggestions: l. buy cheaper batteries -- you can get three for the price
of an Optima if you shop around.   2. use a Battery Tender on the battery
whenever it's parked in the garage.   3. Make sure you completely switch off
the
battery whenever the car is parked. 4. All of the above.

Just my .02 bucks.

Best,
Gary