Re: [Healeys] What Cam?

To: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] What Cam?
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 15:11:39 +0000
Alan

I don't believe that you should dismiss the BN1 gearbox out of hand so
easily. I agree that it will not stand up to the same amount of abuse as
the BN2 on, (Morris) gearbox and it only has the type of synchromesh
that needs to be used accordingly but there are many 100s out there with
sound BN1 boxes.

I am in danger of repeating something I have put on this list before but
I acquired a gold seal A70 gearbox back in the early 1960s. I fitted
this to an A70 with a BN1M engine. I also fitted the cross shaft and an
A90 9" clutch at the same time. I drove this for about 50,000 miles
often pulling a 1 ton load in a trailer made from the back end of an A70
pick-up. I had not problems with the gearbox but did, I admit, break a
half shaft.

About 15 years ago I converted the same gearbox with an overdrive and
side shift but left the bottom gear un-blanked. The gearbox has now done
over 25,000 miles in my BN1 Le Mans.

My view is that if you have a BN1 gearbox that has been driven sensibly
and not abused in it past it will be worth leaving the car as standard.

Regards

--
John Harper