[Healeys] Voltage regulator issues BJ8

To: Ahealey Ahealey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Voltage regulator issues BJ8
From: Weston Keyes <westonkeyes@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:16:16 -0400
Hello Folks,

   More electrical woes.

I have what looks like a brand new voltage regulator 22A.
It appears to be working in that the ignition light goes out when the engine
starts and is revved. The problem is that the longer of the two resistors on
the back of the VR is getting very hot,in fact too hot to touch. I am using a
digital volt meter so am getting a variety of voltage readings but the most I
have seen is 17 volts coming off the generator. The battery is fully charged
and is brand new. If I disconnect the wire from the VR to the field terminal
on the  genny and instead run that too 12 volts I get the same readings on the
output of the genny. Is my VR supplying too much voltage to the genny? I don't
ming getting a new VR but don't want to just throw parts at the issue.

Many thanks

Wes Keyes
York, Maine