Re: [Healeys] going to Europe

To: I Erbs <eyera3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] going to Europe
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 21:35:18 +0200
I think one of the nicest car museums in Europe is the one in the
Imperial Palace in Compihgne France, about a 100km North of Paris. It
was opened in the 1920's with cars that were found at that date. It is
not a fancy display, more rather obscure and rather forgotten. The cars
(and motor bikes) are shown "as found" in around 1925, most unrestored.
Absolutely amazing.
Make absolutely sure it is open when you go there. Last time I went
there a couple of months ago, it was only open to the public with a
guide around 14:00, although all info on the site and inside the
building stated that it was open to the public all day.

The former Schlumpf Museum in Mulhouse is very impressive and much
bigger, a huge amount of mainly French cars, many of them you never even
heard of, in mostly restored condition and the largest collection of
Bugatti's in the world. Of course you will need a full day there to see
it nearly all. I think it is more interesting than the Natinal Motor
Museum in Beaulieu GB (at least that is what I think you mean by Nat.
Transportation Museum in England), although Beaulieu is a beautiful place.

The car museum in Holland is the Louwman collection in the Nationaal
Automobiel Museum in Raamsdonksveer.
Car related events are scarce around that time. Near peak time for holidays.

No idea about Germany. BMW and Mercedes have their own musea near their
main offices.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL