[Healeys] fluid soaked brake shoes

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] fluid soaked brake shoes
From: "R. Cobb" <rcobb@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 19:12:17 -0500
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 21:41:29 -0600
From: "Jack Newton" <jmnewt@comcast.net>
To: <healeys@autox.team.net>

I recently discovered a leaky brake wheel cylinder that contaminated my fairly
new brake shoes.   Anyone out there have good results cleaning these to a
usable condition with the spray cans of brake cleaner or is it best to trash
the linings and start from new?
---------------

John,
I have had success using an old mechanic's trick: warming the shoes in an oven
at perhaps
225 degrees F.  The heat brings the fluid to the surface where it can be wiped
off.  Do this process
several times until no more fluid is apparent, then clean the shoes with brake
cleaner.

Make sure you ventilate the kitchen and clear the project with whomever is
responsible for the oven.

Good luck.

Bob