[Healeys] carburetor gaskets- BJ7

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] carburetor gaskets- BJ7
From: tomleavy@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:46:06 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Listers-

I thought I'd jump in on the fun and ask for a read on what type of gaskets are
used on a MKIIa.
When I removed them, there were 3 of the 1/4" fibre/asbestos type on the engine
side of the heat shield and two on the carb side of the heat shield. They are
in excellent shape, and I am considering reusing them. I've seen a few pics of
what look like original engines (at lease they are old and crusty), and these
have the three gaskets on the engine side of the heat shield.

I would reinstall these original blocks with the paper gaskets supplied by SU
on either side of the heat shield. That should keep it tight. Any thoughts?

I've just seen too many of those black plastic spacers supplied by Moss, and
frankly, they look like they were supplied by them. I know the Nocks have a
source for more authentic spacers, just not sure what applications are
available.

Thomas Leavy
451 Branchport Ave
Oceanport, NJ 07757