[Healeys] Overdrive failure

To: "'Healey Mail List'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Overdrive failure
From: "Peter Schauss" <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 09:52:06 -0400
The first time this happened was last fall.  After driving the car for about
20 minutes on the parkway, long enough for it to be fully warmed up, the
overdrive first started to engage very slowly.  Then it reached a point
where it would only engage if I took my foot off the gas and would disengage
as soon as I hit the gas again.  It felt like there was not enough hydraulic
pressure to keep it engaged.

I replaced the o-ring on the accumulator and the solenoid and that seemed to
cure the problem until I took the car off the road for the winter.  I did
notice, however, that when the car was warm, it did not seem to snap into
overdrive quite as quickly as before, but that may have been just my
imagination.

When I took the car out for the first time yesterday the overdrive worked
well until the car was fully warmed up.  Then it did the same thing it had
done last fall.

Up until last fall, the overdrive had been working perfectly since I bought
the car 15 years (50k+ miles) ago except for burning out a couple of
solenoids.  (I have had the gearbox apart several times to replace the balk
rings, lay gear, and first gear - the last time it was apart was 8 years
ago.)

I had switched to Redline MTL about a year before this happened. When I
replaced the o-ring last fall, I went back to non-detergent 30 weight oil
since I suspected that I might have to open the unit again and did not want
to waste expensive oil.  I should also note that the old o-ring did not seem
to be particularly worn and fit just about at tightly as the new one.

This time I am planning to replace the o-ring again, plus the rings on the
accumulator piston, and the spring on the check valve for the pump.  Is
there anything else that I should be considering?

Does anyone make a gauge that I can use to test the hydraulic pressure in
this unit?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss