Re: [Healeys] Pertronix

To: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Pertronix
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 07:27:22 -0800
I've fried three of them by doing the wrong things, but never had one go bad
all by itself. Pertronix has replaced the first two under warranty and I
haven't acted on the third yet.

My first one to go bad was due to an AutoZone coil which evidently developed an
internal short and fed big voltage back through the unit.

I returned my second one in person and spoke with an engineer about it and he
said to look at the label which was darkened and blistered, which is an
indication of overheating. I had been trying to test the car by shorting out
cylinders.

My third one was, I believe (still investigating this) fried by a Pertronix
coil of improper resistance, which I purchased from Moss. I believe it was
supposed to be used with a resistor but didn't know that at the time.

--
Steve Gerow
Pasadena, CA