Re: [Healeys] Temp gauge accuracy

To: "'Healey List'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Temp gauge accuracy
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 12:32:31 -0400
I tested mine the same way, and found it reading close to 230 with the
sensor in the boiling water.  That explained much of the "overheating
problems" I had experienced up to that point.
I pulled off the needle and repositioned it to fall exactly between the two
little white dots at 212 while the sensor was still bubbling in the water,
and the gauge now generally runs at 190 in the summer.  Even coming across
the desert last summer to/from Conclave, the temp didn't go over 212 after
hours of cruising in 115 deg. ambient.

By the way, Alan:  changing to a "cooler" thermostat (say, from a 180 to a
160) has nothing to do with making the engine run cooler.  The thermostat
rating is not the temperature to which the thermostat will limit engine
coolant, but merely the temperature at which the thermostat starts to open.
On a truly hot-running engine, the 160 will be wide open before a 180, and
at that point has NO ability to control engine temp.  On the other hand, a
160 can cause the engine to warm up slower in winter, and possibly to run
too cold.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry