Re: [Healeys] Rattling noise on hard acceleration

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rattling noise on hard acceleration
From: "Peter Schauss" <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 20:47:22 -0400
I have had a number of good suggestions, most of which I have checked out.

-  Broken spring or loose spring clip - None of my spring leaves were
broken.  I did find a loose clip and tightened it but that made no
difference.

-  Rear spring U-bolts - They are ok.

-  Rear shocks - They are tight.

-  Drive shaft contacting the hand brake cable - It was not.

-  Drive shaft contacting the nuts which hold the hand brake lever - It was
not.  There were no obvious shiny spots on the on the drive shaft to
indicate that it had been hitting anything.

-  Splines on the wheel and hub extension - These are OK.

-  U-joints on the driveshaft - I don't feel any play in the drive shaft.
What should I be looking for here?

-  Rear wheel bearings - I don't feel any play there and they don't make any
noise when I spin the rear wheels by hand.  Is there any other way to check
them without taking them apart?

Any other suggestions?

- Peter Schauss
1963 BJ7