Re: [Healeys] schuttle shake

To: "Mark LaPierre" <lapierrem@sbcglobal.net>, "Alan Seigrist"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] schuttle shake
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 09:31:52 -0400
Mark,

I can tell you haven't driven Healeys much, if at all.

They do not need to shake, and the scuttle shake is not (or need not be) a
fact of life. It can be more prone to show up on the later BJ series Healeys
because of the heavier windscreen assembly sitting high up on the structure.
I would best describe the condition as this: you are driving along and you
look at a spot on the windshield, it appears to be vibrating back and forth
horizontally in front of your eyes, and you feel it in your tailbone.

It can be caused by many things, among which the usual suspect causes can be
worn shocks, out of balance rear drums, bad or out of balance wheels, loose
steering box, etc.
If all these things are tended to properly you should have a smooth running
car.

The later brake drums are heavy massive cast iron things that have been
machined on the inside but the outer casting is pretty much how it came from
the foundry. Careful balancing of these big lumps of iron can have amazing
results.

Rich Chrysler