Re: [Healeys] schuttle shake

To: Joe and Lenore Armour <sebring@illawarra.hotkey.net.au>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] schuttle shake
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 07:18:20 -0700
Well, FWIW, my BJ8 is an original, unrestored (except for paint) car, and it
has
always had some scuttle shake (from 64K miles when I bought it to 170K now).
Shocks have been rebuilt (Peter C.), driveline and drums balanced, alignment
from specialty shop (good one), front suspension rebuilt (yes, correctly),
72-spoke SS Daytons with Pirelli P3s, Yokohama A321s and Vredestein Sprint
Classics, tracks true, etc., etc. and it still shakes some.  The shake starts
at
exactly--according to my speedo--at 56-57mph and builds if I stay at that
speed,
and goes away at 59-60.  That's why I believe it's a harmonic in the chassis (I
think it's been mentioned that Geoff Healey acknowledged this problem--can
anybody say for sure?).

Maybe some individual cars are more susceptible to the shake, and I have no
doubt a proper resto will accomplish a lot as the suspension bushings, etc.
will
be renewed.  I've done my best, and still have the shake.

bs