Re: [Healeys] Castrol GT-LMA Brake Fluid

To: BJ8 Healeys <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Castrol GT-LMA Brake Fluid
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 18:42:23 +0200
Steve,
The water droplets from condensation in the fluid reservoir using DOT-5
will sink to the bottom of the reservoir and transfer further into the
system. Depending on the relative humidity and temperature changes you
will get water in the system. You may be lucky and live in a very dry area.
With DOT 3/4 water will be absorbed by the fluid, hence the need of
changing the fluid at least every 2 years as the boiling point will drop
causing a possible vapour lock when braking hard and prolonged e.g. in
the mountains.
A friend of mine used DOT-5 in his Spitfire and rotted out a brake line
(lowest point of the system) and a rear wheel cilinder and appearantly
he was not the only one having these kind of problems. He probably could
have prevented it by regular flushing, but he did not. We live in a damp
country.
I would rather prefer to loose some paint instead of brake pressure.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL