Re: [Healeys] Gas / fuel tank sealant

To: Al Fuller <al@bighealey.org>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Gas / fuel tank sealant
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 21:33:41 +0200
Al,

Before sealing, fill if with a few kilo's sharp gravel and a few hands
of builders sand (sharp sand), pour in 10liter of water, seal the tank
openings and shake the tank vigurously for some time. Rinse out, and
again and again untill all sand and gravel is removed. Most if not of
the rust can be removed that way.
Dry the tank very carefully as quickly as possible using a heat gun or
hair dryer inserted in the filler opening and directed on the seams from
the outside. Seal immediately after the drying using one of the usual
slush sealants. I do not know what is available in the US, but your
countrymen will undoubtedly put that matter straight.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL