Re: [Healeys] Gasoline Octane

To: "'Bob Spidell'" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Gasoline Octane
From: "Ron Davies" <rdavies1@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 07:46:27 -0700
I tried some research and it seems to be split 50/50.
I was even told the reason I had the problems (fried knock sensor and coil
pack) was the fouling of the plugs by the additive because of the wrong
plugs and gap, not just the additive. Sigh.

Good point about the rating system. Don't know for sure.
The '97 is an inline 6 supercharged engine developed from a racing Jag
prototype (not used on the street). It develops 360hp and 330 torque but it
is a relatively light car.
When I get on it (daily) it pings if I don't have the increased octane.
Not a nice sound over the scream of the supercharger. The Aston is meant to
be driven daily and hard, unlike the Italian Stallions. I do my part.

I've only checked my mileage once in 5 yrs. I recently lead 10 LBCs to a
rally in San Diego and one of the Healeys had a problem overheating so I
followed him back at 60-65mph. I decided to check the mileage and got 26mpg!
I think I usually get about 12. Car just about idles at 65.
Thanks everyone for the input. Guess I'll just continue using the gallon of
100.
Ron
BJ8 and DB7
Hi Ron,

There are precious few real 'experts' on gasoline, and I don't know if
there's
any on this list.  I recommend you do your own research and draw your own
conclusions.  Try net searches on 'gasoline additives,' 'octane boosters,'
'octane rating,' 'tetraethyl lead,' etc.  I think you'll find the bulk of
opinion on fuel additives is that they're little to no help at best,
potentially
damaging at worst (as you've already discovered).  My Mustang's owner's
manual
specifically states not to add anything to the gas or oil and that it could
void
the warranty.

Is your DB's requirement for Motor, Research or R+M/2 octane fuel?  If it's
for
Research method--as is often given in European literature--91-octane R+M/2
may
be adequate for your DB (Research method is typically 3-4 octane higher than

R+M/2).  If not, adding 100-octane--as long as it's unleaded--as you're
doing is
probably the safest and most beneficial way to raise fuel octane.  Your car
may
be fine on 91-octane pump gas--since your DB is electronically controlled it

probably has a knock sensor that will change the engine tune: retard timing,

enrichen mixture, etc.--to prevent damage.  Of course, you won't be getting
the
last few HP out of it--you'll just have to manage on, what, 500HP?

Regards,
Bob