Re: [Healeys] Misleading Barrett Jackson promo material on BJ8

To: F Ronald Rader <f.ronald.rader@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Misleading Barrett Jackson promo material on BJ8
From: Jody Kerr <jodyfkerr@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 18:43:08 -0700
Hey Folks,

I think that people are losing the gist of the original email. It's
not really the car or the restoration that's being calledinto question
as much as the advertising for said car. I've seen Tanner restorations
and they are gorgeous, but they aren't accurate. And the issue is that
they are being advertised as such.

Now I've done many non-original things over the years. From basic
upgrades, to working with the parts that are available to major "hot
rod" modifications. (my favorite was a Chevy LS motor in a 944, man
that was a sweet drive). And I don't care what anyone else does to
their car in terms of modifications, unless they advertise it as
original.

You'd think I was nuts if I put a Porsche 944 on the block with a
Chevy Ls1 motor in it an called it original, as would most of the
motoring world. But, when someone advertises a car as concours
certified and it's not the same colour as it was when it left the
factory, then there is something to question.

So, it's not the car, but how it's advertised. And the issue with
Barrett-Jackson is that british cars are such a small segment of what
they do that the company, vendors and consumers may not always know
what they are getting (short of it being beautiful).But, if they
advertise it as one thing, and it's really another, then that's fraud.
And that's the probem. Advertise a Tanner car as being from him and
being great, but don't advertise it as concours when it's not.

Now my AH will be concours because I want it to be and I've never had
a gold certified car before. I don't want someone's work to be paraded
above mine because some false advertising dictated so.

Cheers!
Jody

--
http://www.theymightberacing.com/