Re: [Healeys] Misleading Barrett Jackson promo material on BJ8

To: f.ronald.rader@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Misleading Barrett Jackson promo material on BJ8
From: dwflagg <dwflagg@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 10:56:06 -0400
Let me make my point, Jody's, & a few others because some are not seeing
the forest for the trees -

Ron is correct and so is Jody. Let the deep pockets pay for what "they"
want, be it correct or not, but of exceptional fit and finish. An
informed buyer is a smart buyer, but alas all are not. So, to the
uninformed it is a matter of perception based on the "facts" as presented
by the seller and/or "restorer". Again, to beat an old horse, but needed
for some, if you say a Healey is concours correct or original and it is
not, that is fraud. Unfortunately, to the uninformed, they take people at
their word (which means a lot less these days) that "new re issues"
(hasn't made it to Websters yet) are great "old" (is there an oxymoron
there somewhere?) safe and reliable cars. They are "pozitively" getting
screwed. Of course I wouldn't want someone drooling over my car unless it
had a few layers of clear coat!! But then I don't remember owing a Healey
for that reason. It was because I liked it and I enjoyed driving it, not
what someone else thought of it. Unless, of course, it was in friendly
competition with fellow enthusiasts. I would beg to differ that only a
few hundred care about the originality of their Healeys and would suggest
that "they can take it to their Ferrari club event, or Jag club event,
and have people drooling over it (Healey)." is not a reason to own a
Healey. I would further suggest that, like any other toy, they will
eventually tire of it, and move on to something new.

What this does, as in the ".com" and "housing" bubbles, is to
artificially inflate the values of Healeys, making it exceptionally
difficult for many to enter the hobby, leaving the door open to only
those who can afford the high cost of a "restored" Healey or the cost of
restoration, or as someone pointed out, the rising cost of parts, in
direct proportion the escalating values. So, is your Healey an investment
or personally valued vintage motorcar, to be enjoyed for what it is, not
an entry in your investment portfolio? IMHO.

Doug