Re: [Healeys] Heat Barrier Cloth vs Dynamat

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Heat Barrier Cloth vs Dynamat
From: "Douglas Lyon" <lyon612@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 10:12:23 -0700
Alan,

"...two sides sticky weather stripping..." to hold the insulation to the
floor? or to the carpet?

I totally agree, that sticking dynamat over the whole floor just isn't the way
to go.   My thought of perhaps gluing the insulation to the under side of the
carpet suggested itself to me as I recalled how BMW does their carpets.   They
mould the entire one-piece carpet to the foam insulation, so that, during
assembly, the whole unit (carpet with foam attached) can just be dropped into
the car---or, conversely, removed from the car later on as one piece (for
those brave enough to ever want to try that).   Now, of course, a one-piece
moulded carpet is not possible with a Healey, but, gluing the insulation to
the under side of the carpet might be the next best way to go.   It has at
least one advantage I can think of, in that it would allow all of the carpet,
and all of the insulation, to be easily removed later, if, for example, I
should ever need to pull the transmission, or the engine/transmission.   What
do you think?

Douglas Lyon
Claremont, CA

'59 BN7