[Healeys] Temp gauge discussion

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Healeys] Temp gauge discussion
From: "Jerry Costanzo" <grumpyinloomis@ssctv.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 21:02:04 -0700
I had sent my temp/oil pressure gauge to MOMA for repair.  It came back
looking new (in fact, I thought it was new).  The temp gauge seems to run
about 20 degrees hot when it gets above 190.  On my BN4, the gauge always
increases when you shut off the engine for a few min.  But that temp may go up
to about 212.  On my BJ8, the needle will go all the way past the water temps
and into the oil pressure to the 80 mark.    I know that these temp gauges
will only take so much heat before they no longer operate.   I used one of the
laser gun temp gauges to show the engine is actually at about 190, even though
the gauge shows it is 210.
The only differences between the two cars is the type of thermostat.  The BJ8
has one with the extra sleeves.

So the question is:   Live with the gauge, since I know the engine is not that
hot.
                               Replace the thermostat to one that does not
have the extra sleeve.
                                Adjust the gauge???

Thanks

Jerry