Re: [Healeys] Insulation

To: Healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Insulation
From: tomleavy@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 10:59:40 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Keith-

I used the following product under the tranny tunnel on my BJ7:

Look on ebay for:B  AUTOMOTIVE HEAT SHIELD & SOUND INSULATION BARRIER 21x48

or you can use this link: B http://tinyurl.com/kj9wsz

I cut templates of paper before I began to cut this material. It has a stiff
outer layer of aluminum (a good thing, in my mind) and a very sticky back.
Sandwiched in between is a layer of fiberglass insulation. It took a few hours
to apply it to the relatively small area of the tranny cover, but in the end I
thought that this product was the perfect solution to the problem. I have no
fear that it will work itself loose, and the cover never gets more than warm
to the touch.

For the rest of the floor and toe board areas, I used a product from Lowes
that is essentially a double later of bubble wrap sandwicded between layers of
mylar. I looked it up on their website, and I think this is the product:
Reflectix
4' x 25' Double Reflective Foil Insulation

Item #: 13358B B B B B B B Model: BP48025

I fastened it to the firewall and toe board areas using the better quality 3m
trim adhesive. I just trimmed it to fit the floor areas and cut out openings
for the carpet snaps. The carpet keeps it in place. Now, be advised that this
cost me points when I recently was judged concours, but on the 1200 mile
journey i t took to get there, the floors never got too hot. The nice thing is
that I still have the option of switching out this mylar insulation with jute,
for show, if I choose to do so B  for judging next year. I just need to find a
source of the jute material (anyone know of one?).
Regards, Tom