Re: [Healeys] 'New' 185R15 tire choice available...

To: Greg Lemon <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 'New' 185R15 tire choice available...
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 08:58:44 +0800
All -

You are all incorrect except for Greg here.   The 185 15 is a much taller
tire than original, but then again each manufactured tire varies in
measurement.

Longstone tyres in the UK lists all the pertinent measurements for our cars,
and the closest diameter to original Dunlops (look at the top of the list)
are the 185/70s, with the Pirelli 185/70 the closest diameter on the list.
Given that radials compress less than original cross-plys means the Pirelli
will probably maintain the same ride height as the original tires:

http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/search.php?searchMethod=term&searchTerm=590+X+15

and for 185/15 comparisons you can look here:

http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/search.php?searchMethod=term&searchTerm=185+X+15

You can actually see the various diameters specifically for the Austin
Healey here (as shown on the first link above):

http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/Austin-Healey.php
http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/image/healey%20options.jpg

The tire in the middle is the Dunlop.  The tire next to it is the Micheline
180/15, which is a taller tire as well.  My favorite in this bunch is the
one on the far left, the 185/70 by Pirelli.  It's a remake of the Classic
Pirellis available in the 1970s, and the stick and ratings are excellent.
At 98 pound it's not too bad price wise for what it is.  Also for safety
reasons since no one will keep these tires on for more than 5 - 10 years,
the faster wear characteristics of the Pirelli are moot.

Incidentally, i have ordered from Longstone several times.  I don't know how
they do it, but their shipping costs are VERY low.

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1
'64 BJ8