Re: [Healeys] 'New' 185R15 tire choice available...

To: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>, "Healey List"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 'New' 185R15 tire choice available...
From: "Douglas Lyon" <lyon612@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 10:46:52 -0700
Original tires on all big Healeys were 5.90/90-15, with a diameter of
25.62". *   If you translate that original size into the metric lingo of
current tire sizing that would be 150/90-15.

                        Diameter
185/80-15   =   26.65"
175/80-15   =   26.02"
5.90/90-15  =   25.62"
165/80-15   =   25.39"
155/80-15   =   24.76"

So, as far as tire diameter goes, the 165/80-15 would be the closest fit to
the original, albeit just a hair smaller.
As for tread width, the 165/80-15 will more closely resemble the original
tires than will anything wider (while still being 15mm wider than the
originals).
The 155/80-15 is definately getting too short.

Douglas Lyon
Claremont, CA

'59 BN7

* Courtesy of an old Moss Motors, British Motoring article.