Re: [Healeys] BJ8 rear springs

To: BJ8 Healeys <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 rear springs
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 09:30:44 +0100
Steve

Some of what I am about to say may repeat what others have said.

I don't know about suppliers but here are a few points to watch out for
when changing rear springs.

If it is a long time since these were removed then the front pins may
well be stuck solid in the silentbloc inner sleeve. Even if you release
the tab and try to turn the pin then the whole inner sleeve will usually
turn in the rubber. It is very difficult to get anything in place to
drive the pin out and in any case it is easy to damage the chassis if
one is over enthusiastic.

The technique that I have used is to use a one ended blade power Sabre
Saw and cut through the pin both sides of the spring. It is worth
getting close to the spring leaves so that one cuts through both the pin
and the ends of the protruding silentbloc inner sleeve. Once the main
spring is out the remaining parts are easily dealt with.

Obviously you will need new silentblocs if these do not come already
fitted to the new springs but you would replace these anyway. You will
also need replacement pins.

Regards

--
John Harper