Re: [Healeys] Help from CA, NZ and AUS peers

To: <jodyfkerr@gmail.com>, Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Help from CA, NZ and AUS peers
From: Rick Swain <rjswain@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 12:23:01 +0000
Jody
In Canada, motor vehicle registrations are handled by the province in which
the car is owned. Here in Nova Scotia it's difficult to get current
information, unless you know a friendly law enforcement officer who will run a
check for you. Older records (I don't really know what the cutoff date is but
at least as far back as the sixties and earlier) are housed in the Provincial
archives and anyone can do research there. If you had the date and the owner's
name it would be relatively easy, but time consuming. If the records haven't
been computerized, and they weren't the last I heard, the search would involve
going through reels (and reels) of microfilm.
I don't know if you could get a friendly archivist to do this for you -
probably not.
I have a friend who used to do this when he was looking for old motorcycles.
He would start with a list of motorcycle club members and their bikes from a
certain date, pick the ones he was interested in and start following the
microfilm trail of registrations forward to as recent as he could get. He'd
then phone the most recent owner and see if he still owned the bike, or if he
knew who did. He did find several bikes that way.
Good luck with your search
Rick Swain