[Healeys] fuel problem

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] fuel problem
From: jim brown <jbrown5093@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 04:58:07 -0700 (PDT)
A couple of weeks ago there was a post outlining a problem with a fuel pump
"burnning" out on 2 occations. I didn't see a final resolution if there was
one. I have had 2 electric fuel pumps in parallel on my BT7 for years. One went
about 3 months ago. I just thought it was old age. Since then the car has
become fuel starved on 2 occasions. It sills run for a short distance and then
dies, full choke sometimes keeps it sputtering along for a while. Both pumps
are working (they click very fast) but no fuel delivery to the carbs when it
begins to die (scant fuel and a occasional bubble in the filter). On each of 3
occasions one of the pumps eventually died while the other kept going but still
no fuel (shut it off so I didn't have to replace 2 pumps). The dead pump
wouldn't work at first on the bench but after shooting some lubricant into it
it began to run-seemed like the impeller had become stuck. After being towed
home the car started right up the next
 morning on the still good pump. . I've never had a problem with vapor lock in
15 years and think that an electric pump should overcome it anyway but all
three times it was a hot day. I think the pumps are not getting gas which I
suspect lubricates the impeller then it binds and the pump stops. Gas tank
seems ok, no leaks. no junk and the filter before the carbs is clean. Any
ideas.

Jim Brown