Re: [Healeys] BJ7 - CLOSE RATIO GEARBOX

To: scott@scottjgraham.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ7 - CLOSE RATIO GEARBOX
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 19:46:40 +0800
Scott -

I think you are confused.  As far as I am aware there are only two types of
new gear sets on the market, tulip ratio and sebring ratio, both are
straight cut gears.

If you can find a non overdrive side change box (standard) out of a BN4, if
I'm not mistaken this box had the most evenly spaced ratios of all the boxes
and the final ratio is similar to the OD boxes on the BJ7 so on the highway
it would work more or less the same.

You'd have to take the gear set out and then match it to the box you have, I
think they are interchangeable (but I could be wrong) others on the list
will know better than me on this one.  I think the ratios on the old non OD
BN4s is similar to the Sebring gear ratios.

That being said, it's a huge amount of effort for hardly any gain.  I like
driving the car just the way it is.

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1