Re: [Healeys] The mystery of the 100-6 Wheels

To: "'Mark LaPierre'" <lapierrem@sbcglobal.net>, "'Ed Woods'"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] The mystery of the 100-6 Wheels
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 08:54:03 -0400
48 Spoke wheels were used until the middle of the BJ7 production run when 60
spokers were introduced. I suspect this was because it was found that the 48
spoke wheels were inadequate for the side forces that were generated by the
newly available radial tires. Coarse thread knock off nuts and thicker
section splined hubs were introduced with the BJ8 Phase 2 probably also in
response to the improved tires available.
60 spoke wheels will contact the front brake drums on 100 and 100/6 cars but
72 spoke wheels will clear the drums as I recall.
The stub axle and king pin assembly for the 100/6 (and BN2) is the same as
that used until the beginning of the use of the coarse thread splined hubs
so you can easily install discs with Girling 14 calipers on a 100/6 although
some of the parts are getting difficult to find.
I think I have a couple of sets if anyone is contemplating this conversion.

Michael Salter
http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=445