Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 14:12:47 -0400
No, Dave, I did not wash the engine bay.  Although the dash switch and its
wires were the only things damaged in the meltdown, I don't see how the
switch itself could have caused either the problem I was having or its own
meltdown.  I've had overdrive dash switches apart before, so I know how they
work inside.

I have a red warning light on my dash above the dash switch that serves to
remind me to turn off the switch before backing up.  I've found that it is
also a pretty good diagnostic tool for the overdrive electrics.  Before the
meltdown, the switch was working just fine.  The light came on with the
switch, but went off immediately when the switch was turned off instead of
waiting for my foot on the gas, as it always did before.  It did this many
times over a few days while I tried to troubleshoot the problem.  The dash
switch and warning light were apparently working normally while the rest of
the system was not.  In the past, the way the dash light operated was an
indication that the throttle switch was either in or out of adjustment.
This time, nothing I did would make the light stay on when the dash switch
was turned off.

Both the original relay and the new one worked the same.  I took the
original apart, and it was fine inside -- no corrosion or other obvious
defects.  I filed the points slightly to make sure they were O.K., then put
it back together.  The system worked the same as before.  The only thing
left to take apart is the throttle switch, which I will do if the problem
recurs.  However, I haven't touched the throttle switch since before
Southeastern and the problem has disappeared.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA