[Healeys] Champions(again)

To: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Champions(again)
From: <healeymanjim@hansencc.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 05:08:34 +0000
spent saturday morning helping a club member get his MGB running correctly.
he had stated that it would not idle and he and some other MG owners had tuned
it up and had tried to adjust the carbs.  it had been sitting a few months so i
cruised on over in the bn6 to check it out.  i took my compression guage and
timing light as i suspected a burnt valve.  took the plugs out to do
compression check and noticed they were new champions. my suspicions were
aroused, especially as the compression check was good.  started engine and it
was running rough at high idle.  plug wires had not been replaced so decided to
check plugs and wires by pulling each wire to tests rpm drop.   #4 no change.
swapped #2 and #4 plug, now #2 no change.  suspicions confirmed.  got set of
NGK and installed them.  all four cylinders now firing.  trash canned the
champions, timed the distributor and adjusted carbs.  engine smooth as any 4
cylinder now.  CAVEAT EMPTOR.   hjim