Re: [Healeys] Insulation Recommendations

To: <warthodson@aol.com>, Carlos Cruz <healey3000bn7@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Insulation Recommendations
From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 05:42:59 +0000
In fact that's how it is advertised. It's intended to be used as a damping
material for deadening resonance in flat panels for sound system
installations. for that it works well due to its density and resilience. The
density will actually reduce thermal resistance and reduce its usefulness as a
thermal insulator. Some types have a foil layer on one side which may work as
a thermal reflector and provide some benefit.
While any additional thickness will reduce the flow rate of heat, an effective
insulating material needs to have a low density and contain a large amount of
air in relation to its weight. Unfortunately that means it needs to be bulky
too.
Bill Lawrence