Re: [Healeys] Removing brake lines from Aluminum wheel/master

To: "'BJ8 Healeys'" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Removing brake lines from Aluminum wheel/master
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 17:55:54 -0400
 Hi Don,
Unfortunately it is unlikely that you will get it out. The aluminum oxidizes
and swells so much that it usually locks the fitting irrecoverably.
I have tried every penetant known to man but nothing I have found will
dissolve aluminium oxide. You will probably have to resort to heating if the
situation is very bad, heat seems to cause aluminium oxide to break down but
avoiding melting the aluminium requires a fine touch and the plating on the
line and flare nut will be ruined requiring their replacement.
Percussive harassment (hammering) will occasionally help but usually the
threads in the aluminium cylinder will be damaged.
The force created by the oxidizing aluminium is often sufficient to crack
the cylinder at the thread anyway.
In my experience be prepared to replace the cylinder and probably the
line..after all these are brakes you're are dealing with and you don't have
the luxury of a dual braking system!!!

Michael Salter
http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=445