Re: [Healeys] Healeys at Mecum

To: Greg Lemon <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healeys at Mecum
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 07:53:09 -0700
Well, I was going to resurrect a recent thread about owners who demand only the
cheapest possible parts from vendors--and bitch like crazy if they have to pay
more than for a comparable Chevy part--may be damaging our suppliers in the
same
way, but decided not to.

I've been an Austin-Healey owner (paid extra for the hyphen) for over 26 years.
  I bought my BJ8 at the end of the era when the clubs were more for sourcing
parts than for social activities (some clubs maintained their own dismantling
yards for parts).  Then, companies like Moss and VB came along and there was
less/no need for the dismantlers and they disbanded.  If Moss--who is wisely
now
also sourcing parts for Miatas and Mustangs--can't make a go of it we may have
to return to the dismantler era.

I do anticipate some resiliency in demand for our LBCs, however, as some people
will refuse to drive nothing but cookie-cutter, electric/hybrid people movers
(I
bought my Bullitt Mustang partly in anticipation of this eventuality).  In
hindsight, the outrageous recent prices paid for 'collector' cars--inspired
largely by the muscle car mania (read: BJ)--was as much a bubble as dotcom
stocks and real estate.  What we'll likely see is a return to normalcy; i.e.
mostly hobbyists and fewer speculators.

bs