Re: [Healeys] Healeys at Mecum

To: Randy Hicks <Healey100M@gmail.com>, Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healeys at Mecum
From: Carlos Cruz <healey3000bn7@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 10:21:08 -0700 (PDT)
I was at the Mecum auction and saw the two cars up close.  The blue Healey
(while touted as a ground up) had a fair amount of wear in the carpet and trim.
 The top appeared to be new but was very poorly fitted and didn't seal well
along the windshield.  Several items in the engine compartment were not
original and the wiring seemed to be pieced together in places.  The respray
had some issues as well.  I don't know how long ago the restoration had been
done.  If it was recent, it wasn't concours by any stretch of the imagination.
If done a while ago, several repairs had been attempted and unfortunately not
to a newly restored finish.  At $39K, it would have been a fair buy for the
buyer and a good sale for the seller.

The Kurt Tanner restored Healey was in much better condition.  While not
typical Healey colors, it was a beautifully appointed car.  The bonnet was down
as was the top so I couldn't inspect this one as closely.  I wonder how long
ago Tanner did this car?  Regardless, it was very well done and very well
maintained.  It would have been a great buy at $61 and a loosing sale for the
seller at that price.  The car should get more money at a better venue.

There was also a '67 BRG E-Type that came up for auction and didn't sell.  This
was a beautiful V-12 car.  That was it for British iron.

In the end, I think the Mecum auction was just the wrong venue for British
cars.  There were some absolutely gorgeous American muscle and classics on
display.

Cheers,
Carlos Cruz