Re: [Healeys] Healey wood

To: "Curt/Nancy Arndt" <cnaarndt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healey wood
From: "Mirek Sharp" <m.g.sharp@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:16:19 -0400
Sorry - I did not mean to imply Healeys are wood framed - I have noticed over
the last 35 years of ownership that they are mostly made of metal.  However, I
would need some convincing that any old piece of wood was used for the few
wooden bits.  I did not think I would have to explain that my tongue was in my
cheek with the remark about the concours committee, but just to be so there
are no misconceptions, it was.

The tradition of using wood in car construction was certainly dying out when
Austin Healeys were being produced, but I expect those who made the wood
pieces came from long line of craftsmen and used the species that were best
suited to the job, and my understanding is that these have traditionally been
fine-grained, rot-resistant European hardwoods like ash and beech.  Of course
the North American hardwoods would do just as well - white ash for example,
but the original question was what kind of wood is used - not what could be
used.  I very much doubt mahogany was ever used - too soft.

For the plywood panels, I have used Baltic birch, which is readily available
in very thin sheets and works perfectly. As for the hardwoods, if you can get
the right stuff, why not use it, but white ash would work fine.

Cheers,

Mirek