[Healeys] John Marks/Vintage Restorations

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] John Marks/Vintage Restorations
From: "Carr&Edwards" <scvc70@epix.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:19:17 -0400
I received the following yesterday from the mg-mmm list, and felt it should
be
passed on:

Hello Group,

My good friend, John Marks of Vintage Restorations, has been wrestling with
the thought of retirement for the past few years. Unfortunately for us, after
42 years, that time has now come.

John's knowledge of Triple-M, T-Series, and even up through modern MGA-B
instruments is second to none. Plus, those of you fortunate enough to have
met
John through the years already know he and his wife Monica are simply world
class folks. John's dedication to "getting it right" can be seen on many of
our dashboards around the world, in addition to many cars that many of us can
only dream about outside our MG world.

Some of John's retirement reasons say it best in edited excerpts from his
email to me Friday......

............Dick and I started trading in 1967, and 2009 has been a awful
year due to friends, colleagues, and employees retiring, dying, or ill !
Seven
funerals since October 2008!    Now it is time to decide.

'Officialdom'  has become overwhelming with more new  Customs regulations on
work coming in from overseas, to the degree that I would probably have to
insist on items being sent to us through a shipping agent, rather than post
and UPS, all of which ends up costing as much and more than the work involved
is worth.  Paperwork returning goods to prove export without VAT is just as
bad!

Yet in spite of the recession we are overloaded with work and turning jobs
away. So regrettably, after months of consideration and many restless nights,
I have finally decided to close the business Vintage Restorations.

Some jobs in hand will be returned as received, others where practical we
will complete.   This applies to jobs worldwide.  Quite a decision after forty
two years, but John (Whiteman), my remaining engineer retires next year, so
even if I did find someone out of three million unemployed, it only prolongs
the agony, and I cannot get any time off for 'family'...

Folks, note that John has asked to not be flooded with emails.

If you have been planning on sending a job to John - large or small, DO NOT.
He is not preprared to go through the paperword involved to get the job in,
and quite literally, their staff is now down to the very minimum. Any
packages will be returned regardless of its origins.