Re: [Healeys] Oil Change Frequency

To: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Oil Change Frequency
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 00:12:35 +0100
Plugging up the PVC valve is lack of maintainance, not neccesarily due
to extending oil change intervals. Sludge is something that probably
happened during the change over to lead free petrol. Never came accros
it myself.  Most residues in the oil, like water and petrol will boil of
when the engine heats up once in a while if you take it on a fast
motorway spin of say 50miles. Less oil changes does not mean that you
should neglect the engine in all departments. You still have to check
the fluid levels and the proper working of the thing.
Mind you, I am personally not in favor of not changing oil at all. I
simply do not want to take the risk, but on all my cars since the
sixty's I have changed oil once a year, just before the winter most of
the time, after 2000miles or 35.000 miles. Often I also changed the oil
in the gearbox as there is no filter and small metal parts may float
around in it. The cars did high milages but none of the engines showed
noticable wear, except a Triumph Spifire that started using a pint every
250miles or so.
Kees Oudesluijs