Re: [Healeys] Fuel Pump

To: R Phillips <healeydriver1@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fuel Pump
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 17:45:09 +0000 (UTC)
SU fuel pumps, in my experience--have several I've rebuilt several times--fail
by becoming intermittent then quitting altogether. Ticking wildly is usually an
air leak or, as someone suggested, a blockage on the inlet side.

If you plan on taking any long road trips do yourself a favor; install an
electronic SU pump, and keep your points pump as a spare (rebuild if
necessary). Moss and others sell the SU electronic, about $140 last I checked.
Well worth it.

You shouldn't spill more than a couple teaspoons of gas when you remove a pump.
Make sure the battery is disconnected to remove any possibility of a spark.

bs

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA