Re: [Healeys] new BJ8 calipers

To: Simon Lachlan <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] new BJ8 calipers
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 15:51:02 +0000 (UTC)
Wasn't there something about not reusing the through bolts? If they were
installed torque-to-yield you wouldn't want to reuse them, methinks.

bs

--------------------------------
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

Ken,
Jack is right, of course. The only reason I'm butting in - apart from habit
- is that there used to be a fair weight of opinion against splitting
callipers. Supposedly they would "never go back together" properly or
perhaps the trade wanted to a) sell more new ones &/or b) be the only ones
"rebuilding" them. In most cases the rebuild seems to be:- splitting them,
stripping out the parts (the rubber), putting in new seals, reassembly,
paint/lacquer. Or is the reassembly after the paint? No matter. Anyhow, I've
done it. Anyone can do it unless the callipers are beyond all help.
I think I got the seals from Norman Nock but I really can't be sure.
Do them yourself.
Simon.