Re: [Healeys] new BJ8 calipers

To: 63ahbj7 <63ahbj7@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] new BJ8 calipers
From: Thomas Morrione <tjmorrio@colby.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 13:57:31 -0500
Please excuse a neophyte lister dropping in on this question, but FWIW: I
face a similar problem re rebuilding or new calipers. One of my old
"references" a Drake Publishers "Workshop and Repair Manual" (1972) says - -
in BOLD on p.99, when talking about renewing pistons, pads and seals:
"NOTE.-- No attempt should be made to remove the bridge bolts joining the
two halves of the caliper." (That's caliper with one "L")

My Cowley/Oxford/England Workshop Manual (Issue 3: 37058) for BN4 and BN 6
and 3000 MK I and II and BJ7 says in Section MM3 titled "Dismantling a
Calliper Unit" (that's caliper with 2 "L's"): quote:
"NOTE: No attempt should be made to remove the bridge bolts joining the two
halves of the calliper."

So, not wanting to attempt what I'm told not to do (for once in my life) I
asked "my machinist" friend and he said - of course he could do this
rebuild, but wouldn't because of the potential liability involved.

My "answer"? I just sent my calipers (one "L"), along with my worn king pins
and tired trunnions (2 "Ns") to David Nock to fix.

Tom
65BJB in process