Re: [Healeys] Decarbonizing technique?

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Decarbonizing technique?
From: "Guy R Day" <grday@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 10:23:22 -0000
Trickling a pint of water through the carb(s) of a hot engine revving around
3000 rpm was one of the things done in the older automotive times although I
have not heard of using ATF or brake fluid.  I can see no reason why it
shouldn't work, but it may be rather smoky!  I was cautioned against the
process by a guy who explained that it can remove carbon build up in chunks
which can cause damage to the valves as they attempt to pass through.  I
suppose if it was done every 6 months or so you wouldn't get enough build up
to create chunks....
During war years and in the 50's it was used on a regular basis as it was
meant to keep an engine cool and water injection kits were sold for a
similar purpose - but I never played with them.

Guy R Day