Re: [Healeys] Decarbonizing technique?

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Decarbonizing technique?
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 07:58:57 -0500
I had an uncle who always bought used cars and the first thing he did was to
put a quart of "top oil" in a full tank of gas to clean the engine.  Worked
fine until he bought a car with a large amount of carbon build up.  Just
like someone else pointed out - the carbon broke loose in chunks and broke
several valves.  The engine had to be totally rebuilt.

If there is a chance of having large carbon deposits in the engine I would
recommend pulling the head and cleaning mechanically.  When parts were
inexpensive and plentiful it may have made sense to take a chance.  Times
have changed and our engines are too valuable to try a quick fix for a sick
engine.

To keep the carbon down use the car like it was intended - drive it!
My $.02
Pete