Re: [Healeys] Muffler for Healey 100

To: "rrengineer @dslextreme.com" <rrengineer@dslextreme.com>,
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Muffler for Healey 100
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 09:28:03 -0500
I hate to burst everyone's bubble regarding the mufflers we fit to our cars,
but they were originally fitted with mufflers manufactured by Burgess
Silencers. These were made of mild steel but the ones made for the Hundred,
the 100/Six and the 3000 up to the BJ8 were flat on the top and bottom, very
heavy duty construction and were wonderfully quiet.
When I got into Healeys in the early 1970's the replacements that were
available to us from then and for years now were a horrible thing
manufactured by Harmo, Walker, etc. These are readily recognizable as being
distinctly oval in cross section, losing the original flat shape on the top
and bottom that the Burgess had. This of course lost us almost an inch of
ground clearance as well as being louder right from new.
I was able to find a n.o.s original 2 in / 2 out Burgess muffler in the
early '80's and installed it on my restoration of HBT7L 18718, a tricarb
completed in summer 1982. It tucked up nicely under the car, and had a
relatively classy smooth mellow sound when accelerating up through the rev
ranges, not a raspy loud whine that folks have come to believe was original.
Another example of the years, popular opinion and poor memory gradually
changing the facts.
Sure wish a manufacturer would find a Burgess muffler, dissect it, copy it
in every detail and manufacture them for sale. Mike would then have exactly
what he's looking for.

Rich Chrysler