Re: [Healeys] Muffler for Healey 100

To: "E.A. Driver" <edriver@sasktel.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Muffler for Healey 100
From: "rrengineer @dslextreme.com" <rrengineer@dslextreme.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 19:52:09 -0800
Obviously, you gentlemen do not ride motorcycles, nor do you appreciate the
fact of how a "quiet" motorcycle is quite invisible to most people in
"cages" (cars to the 4 wheel vehicle types).  I cannot tell you how many
times I have been cut off in traffic by someone that simply does not "see"
me when they take a left in front of me in oncoming traffic or a lane change
in front of me.  Before I changed the exhaust this happened all the time.  I
have cut the frequency of this occurance considerably by putting the louder
pipes on my motorcycle.  I have had people take a left turn while looking
right at me, turn in front of my moving combined weight of 1000 pounds (only
two brakes and two contact patches) because I don't register in their brain
as a vehicle.  I don't look like a car, so I must not be there.   People in
cars think that a motorcycle can stop on a dime.  Little do they know.  I
have loud pipes for a better chance at survival.  Of course, I like they way
they sound too.  What are you guys compensating for with your flashy sports
cars?  I don't really give a crap what you guys think of me or my
motorcycle.  I have been riding them as long as I have been driving Austin
Healeys. (About 40 years)  Even in an accident in your fifty year old car,
you are safer than me on my exposed two wheel vehicle.  I'll take any
advantage I can get. People in glass houses...
Mike MacLean
56 BN2
60 AN5
02 Heritage Springer (I'm safer in the first two, but it doesn't stop me
from riding)