Re: [Healeys] stub axles

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] stub axles
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 13:22:22 -0500
Michael, from a structural point of view, the axles would be most likely to
crack on the bottom surface in the radius at the base of the axle.  I am not
a Non-Destructive Inspection expert, but I have picked up some knowledge
from my work with military aircraft.
Fluorescent penetrant inspection is primarily used at the lowest level of
maintenance because it is cheap and simple.  However, it can detect only
surface cracks and relies on visual interpretation of results.  Very tight
cracks or laps in the surface could give misleading results.  There are
several variables that can influence the quality of penetrant inspection.
The inspection could be done with the stub axles installed.  By the way,
there is fluorescent penetrant and "dye" penetrant.  The latter is not
allowed as an inspection method for Naval aircraft due to unreliability of
results.

Magnetic particle inspection provides a more precise and reliable inspection
method, but of course requires more expensive equipment and a trained
operator and I do not believe it can be done without removing the stub
axles.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry