Re: [Healeys] Original Bellows-type Thermostat Stats

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Original Bellows-type Thermostat Stats
From: "Ray Carbone" <racarbon@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 22:03:31 -0500
Hi everyone,

First, thanks to all that responded.

Simon Lachlan (thanks Simon) provided some measurements from an original
Healey bellows-type thermostat.  The sleeve dimensions are Diameter 49mm and
Length 16mm.

My original request for the Healey 3K thermostat dimensions was motivated from
the information found WATJAG (http://www.derek-watson.co.uk/newproducts.htm).
It seems that WATJAG offers a rather expensive bellows-type thermostat for a
3.8 Jag E-type, and a number of other models.  Their offering had a Diameter
of 48mm and Length of 15mm, is said to match the Jag's original dimensions,
and targets the original Jag replacement with a Diameter of 47mm and Length of
10.  According to WATJAG, their special model allows approximately 35% less
coolant from flowing through the by-pass than the original replacement.

OK, I have had a bellows-type thermostat from Dave Nock for the last 3-years
and have not extracted it for measurements as yet.  Although I always assumed
it matched what the original dimensions were, after viewing a number of
so-called Healey 3000 compatible bellows units with differing dimensions, I
thought it comforting to know the baseline spec.  A 35% reduction in coolant
by-passed seems to be a substantial amount of lost cooling capacity.

Thanks Again,

Ray Carbone

64BJ8P1